- Prep: 20-25 minutes
- Cook: 30-35 minutes
- Serves: 4
Try using minced beef, pork or turkey instead of the lamb.
- 500g pack lean minced lamb
- 1 onion, chopped (200g)
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 1 tbsp tomato puree (25g)
- 1 tsp LoSalt
- 300g potatoes, cut into ½ cm slices
- 1 aubergine, cut into 1cm slices (275g)
- 25g unsalted butter
- 25g plain flour
- 300ml milk
- 1 medium egg, beaten
- Preheat the oven to 200oC, gas mark 6.
- Fry the lamb, onion, cinnamon and oregano in a large saucepan for 5 minutes. Stir in the tomatoes plus ½ the can filled with water, tomato puree and half the LoSalt, cover and cook for 10 minutes, remove the lid and cook for a further 5-10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook the potatoes in boiling water for 5-8 minutes or until just tender, drain and set aside. Brush the aubergine with a little oil and fry in a nonstick frying pan for 1-2 minutes each side and set aside.
- Melt the butter in a small saucepan and add the flour, cook for 30 seconds and whisk in the milk and remaining LoSalt, bring to the boil, stirring until thickened, cool slightly then stir in the egg.
- Place half the mince in an ovenproof serving dish, add a layer of potatoes then top with remaining mince. Lay the aubergines on top in a single layer and spoon over the white sauce. Bake for 30-35 minutes until golden.
- Serve with a Greek salad.